Jan 16, 2018
This week Felicia is joined by Jane Stafford: production weaver,
teacher, and business owner behind Jane Stafford Textiles on Salt Spring Island in
British Columbia. For over 35 years, Jane has been exploring
weaving and has built the most extraordinary career in textiles.
Jane is the instructor for Louet dealers in North America and you
might recognize her from her teaching on Louet’s instructional DVDs
and videos. It’s also no coincidence that Jane shares her name with
Louet’s newest table loom. The Jane loom is an
acknowledgement of Jane Stafford’s years of contributions towards
weaving loom design. Seriously, how many people can say that they
have a weaving loom named after them? Jane is also the recipient of
teacher of the year award from Handwoven Magazine and now teaches
exclusively from her studio on Salt Spring Island and her online
Join Felicia and Jane this week as they discuss Jane's humble
beginnings of weaving her first piece of fabric to creating an
online guild so she can reach weavers all over the world!
In this episode, we talk about:
- 2:22 Felicia reminisces how she first learned about Jane from a
book on a coffee table many years ago
- 3:27 Jane discusses how she first got introduced to
- 9:00 Did Jane ever feel like quitting during the long process
to becoming a weaver? Jane also discusses the frustration of having
so many teachers with different methods.
- 11:15 Weaving is attractive to many different kinds of people.
Some are very exact and precise, some are very free and
unstructured. Felicia asks Jane what her personality is when it
comes to weaving. Also, the method Jane used to save herself from
the tedium of production weaving.
- 20:02 Is Jane still into production weaving?
- 21:32 How Jane started to teach weaving to others
- 25:20 Jane gives advice on how one can start something as
seemingly-complex as weaving
- 29:04 Jane and Felicia discuss Jane’s online weaving guild she’s
- 34:38 The ladies discuss mistakes and problem solving in
weaving and the dangers of perfectionism
- 38:02 Chatting about how weavers can find support when
they are learning online
- 40:28 Jane discusses her plans for the guild for 2018
- 44:00 Felicia asks Jane what she considers is good design for
weaving and how people can get there
- 47:17 Jane created the online guild so she could reach more
people and have more time for her own personal weaving projects.
Felicia asks Jane what she is looking forward to making.
- 51:49 Felicia’s final notes and podcast giveaway!
Links and Things
Here's where to find Jane online: