Dec 12, 2017
Today Felicia welcomes another yarn shop owner to the show:
Carmen Schmidt. Carmen is the owner of A Yarn
Story, a knitting shop in Bath, England. She’s also begun
a new venture called Walcot Yarns, with the goal of
producing luxurious yarns and fabulous patterns for knitters and
crocheters alike. A Yarn Story opened almost 3 years ago in 2014
and has become a destination shop for knitters and yarn lovers.
Please join us this week as Felicia and Carmen discuss creating
a knitting community through colour!
In this episode, we talk about:
- 1:38 The ladies chat about how they first met when Felicia was
teaching at Unwind Brighton in the UK. Carmen also chats about how
she started A Yarn Story.
- 5:00 Why is the shop called A Yarn Story?
- 6:28 Carmen shares some of her favourite “yarn stories” from
- 8:45 Felicia asks Carmen what her vision for A Yarn Story was
when she first decided to open a yarn store and how she tries to
foster a knitting community through her shop
- 11:14 How Carmen chooses which colours of yarn to stock in the
limited space in her store and what colour trends Carmen has been
- 16:00 Felicia asks Carmen about the rise of popularity of
knitting in Europe
- 17:52 Felicia asks Carmen how she made A Yarn Story the
successful yarn store it is today in a tough economy
- 20:30 Carmen talks about her latest venture: producing her own
line of yarns called Walcot Yarns
- 25:52 Felicia asks Carmen why she feels driven to start a yarn
company now when so many new yarn companies are being created and
there is so much competition
- 29:07 What is next for Walcot Yarns?
- 31:05 Discussing planning (or lack thereof!)
- 32:32 What is currently capturing Carmen’s imagination and
- 36:40 How you can find A Yarn Store and Walcot Yarns
- 37:42 Felicia’s final notes and podcast giveaway!
Links and Things
Here’s where to find A Yarn Story and Walcot Yarns online: